EARLY HEAD START: PROGRAM SECRETARY
- High School diploma or GED
- One year of experience in a clerical position or training for a clerical position
- Current health screening
- TB clearance
- Hold a valid automobile operator’s license
- Proof of current automobile insurance is required if using personal vehicle for job duties or any MCOE business
- Fingerprinting required. Fingerprints must clear DOJ & FBI Live Scan.
Synopsis of Position
This position works directly under the Early Head Start Program Director. Duties require independent action based on knowledge of proper procedures and agency requirements. Collect and maintain program information; generate required and/or requested reports; maintain program files and records; provide clerical assistance to the Policy Council.
Essential Performance Responsibilities
- Actively participate in ongoing monitoring and program development.
- Read, understand, interpret, and apply written and oral instructions.
- Interact and communicate effectively, both orally and in writing with co-workers, clients, and the public.
- Maintain a professional attitude when interacting with co-workers, clients, and the public.
- Prepare monthly monitoring reports for management staff and Policy Council, including enrollment and attendance reports.
- Prepare and distribute agenda packets of monthly Policy Council meetings, make all logistical arrangements, take and transcribe meeting minutes.
- Schedule and arrange meetings as directed.
- Design forms and revise as necessary; maintain master list.
- As directed, make travel arrangements for staff.
- Establish and maintain appropriate level of inventory of supplies; compile semi-annual bulk purchases; maintain purchase/inventory records.
- ChildPlus Administration Duties:
- Electronic tracking of enrollment information and client participation.
- Electronic tracking of volunteer and in-kind hours.
- ChildPlus related training and technical assistance for staff.
- Responsible for generating annual Program Information Report and maintaining documentation for the report.
- General duties include, but are not limited to fielding and screening telephone calls, receiving and directing visitors, filing, faxing and distribution of incoming and outgoing mail and faxes.
- Adhere to policies, rules, and regulations as they relate to Early Head Start and Modoc County Office of Education (MCOE).
- Execute decisions of the Superintendent.
- Exhibit and demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of employees.
Additional work situations are broadly defined and strategic in nature, which often require working with various organizations, management, and staff at all levels and require respect and finesse in resolving highly personal and technical concerns where one must consider trade-offs, risks, and the status of others. May be required to attend trainings outside of normal workday; locally or out of town.
Work is generally conducted in an office environment by may require the program secretary to conduct business elsewhere by attending off-hour meetings, conferences, and special hearings. The noise level in the work environment is often loud.
- Illustrates positive interpersonal skills, professional and personal integrity with a commitment to the utilization of interest based decision-making.
- Displays independence and motivation towards enhancing the status and stability of MCOE.
- A people-oriented individual whose intent is to build positive relationships with employees in order to advance the efficiency and effectiveness of the educational organization.
- An individual who is an active listener and who accepts and commits to all job-related tasks with perseverance and determination.
- An individual who portrays a philosophy of openness and is educationally focused to ensure that the educational objectives of the county office continue to be met consistently and on time.
Physical flexibility, mental acumen, and emotional stamina are fundamental building blocks for the Early Head Start Secretary. The job requires the following skills in a consistent manner.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to write, use phone/keyboard/business machines, etc.
- Visual acuity to read and understand a variety of printed materials with different fonts and to be able to view a computer screen for extended periods of time.
- Hearing acuity sufficient to hear and understand in person and via telephone conversations.
- Speaking ability to communicate in an understandable, pleasing voice with sufficient volume to be heard in normal conversational distance, on the phone, and addressing various group sizes.
- Physical agility to push/pull, squat, twist, turn, bend, stoop, and reach overhead; physical mobility sufficient to move about the work environment repeatedly within the office, out of the office, in the community, and outside the community, operate an automobile, and respond to emergency situations.
- Physical strength sufficient to lift 30 pounds.
- Mathematical skills sufficient to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, are, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Mental acuity to collect and interpret data, evaluated, reason, define problems, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, and make valid judgments and decisions.
- Emotional strength and stability to maintain composure and etiquette during disturbing situations, and be able to function consistently well and properly under stressful encounters.
Terms of Employment
Fiscal Year: July 1st -June 30th: Contracted work days = 261
The salary, fringe benefit package, and other terms and conditions of employment will be competitive, negotiated with the Superintendent, and commensurate with the candidate’s education and experience. Please refer to web address: www.modoccoe.k12.ca.us
Performance evaluation will be completed annually by the Early Head Start Director in accordance with the provisions of the Superintendent’s policy on evaluation of personnel.