Job Title: On Call Teacher Aide/Substitute Teacher
Job Classification: On Call/Part Time, Non-exempt
STEP (Substitute Teacher Empowerment and Placement) is a non-profit program funded by the San Francisco OECE (Office of Early Care and Education) and administered by Kai Ming Head Start to provide affordable sub teacher staffing for childcare centers and promote fair wages and professional development for teachers. If you have completed at least 3-6 ECE units and are interested in working with young children ages 0- 5, please apply now.
STEP provide great benefits, flexible hours and work locations in San Francisco, ongoing paid training, learning community and lots of professional development opportunities to help you step into ECE field and be empowered! Check out STEP website www.ecestep.org or call 415-960-1351 for more information.
Job: This position functions as a ‘floater’ in the center supporting classrooms when needed. The primary role of this position is to support classroom activities, supervision and needs. The secondary role is to ensure quality food service and sanitation in the center.
I. Primary responsibility is to assist the teaching staff, which includes the following duties:
- Prepare classroom activities and classroom environment
- Assist with implementation of curriculum as needed
- Supervise children at all times
- Help ensure indoor/outdoor safety
- Oversee the daily nap routine
- Communicate with parents at pick-up time when needed
- Interact with children appropriately
- Report inappropriate behavior of staff, parents and on-site consultants to the appropriate supervisor.
- Assists center administration staff as assigned by the site manager (e.g. checks and open doors, answer phones, etc.)
- Perform other duties as assigned by the teacher or site manager
II. Secondary role is to assist teachers and/or center aide with kitchen duties as needed. These duties include:
- Receive food from driver and check delivery against driver sheet
- Check and record temperature of food and foods served, and reheating as needed
- Check and record refrigerator/freezer temperatures
- Prepare meals for each class
- Clean up and washing dishes
- Maintain a sanitation log
Qualifications: Kai Ming is looking for experienced classroom personnel who can attend to the care and education of young children in a high quality setting to foster their school readiness and establish a foundation for success in school and life.
- At least have past experience working with children 0 to 5 years old; and
- 3-6 units in Child Development/Early Childhood Education.
Annual Physical Exam and TB Clearance
Criminal Background Clearance
Child Abuse Index Clearance
Adherence to the Confidentiality Agreement
Adherence to the Child Abuse Reporting Mandate
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to change position; to sit, stand, walk, climb or balance; to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; to bend, twist and reach with hands and arms; and to pick up children.
Light to moderate lifting (up to approximately 50 lbs) is required, such as lifting a child, chair, table, etc.
Adhere to the Kai Ming Code of Conduct and all other internal policies and procedures.
Accountable for the health, safety and supervision of all children and families.
- COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: Proof of COVID-19 vaccination record, or weekly Negative COVID-19 test result.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive Salary - determined based on the qualification & experience level
- MRA (Medical Reimbursement Account) - employer sponsored contributions
- EAP (Employee Assistance Program) - available to all employees
- Wellness - Various staff self-care & wellness benefits
- Professional Development - Extensive training & coaching
- Tuition Support - Reimbursement & stipend for tuition, textbook & trainings
- Education Support - Tuition/textbook reimbursement & paid release time for class
- Paid Time Off - prorated
Equal Opportunity: Kai Ming provides equal employment opportunities for staff and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, military status or disability in accordance with local, state and federal guidelines. We strongly encourage people from diverse backgrounds to apply. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Application process: Please submit your job application through Kai Ming’s career page https://kaiming.org/careers. Applications are accepted and evaluated until a suitable candidate has been selected.